Saturday, May 29, 2004

The weekend arrives

You know, it's pure and utter spoilage, what goes on here. My in-laws take the boys every Friday night. For me this is 'ketchup' time. I 'ketchup' on laundry, 'ketchup' on cleaning, and 'ketchup' on sleep come Saturday morning. And I like ketchup on fries. But I usually get Chinese food, since my kids won't eat it.

Today I caught a bit of 'the hum', though more in the social sense versus the physical. While it could take forever to explain 'the hum', which I will do soon (because it's a damned fine persuit, if you ask me), here's a really quick description: it's that feeling when everything just comes together and you feel like every cell in your body is vibrating in harmony. ...or something. The closest synthetic achievement of 'the hum' I've found thus far is while sitting in the dentist's chair, getting cavities filled while on nitrous oxide. Remind me and I'll tell you ALL about that little journey. GOD I love that shit.

anyhoo. That whole finding 'the social hum' today: we took the boys to the Children's Museum -- you know, a place they have all sorts of toys, musical instruments, a huge mini-grocery store, a 'cafe' where you can be served plastic eggs that look like they've been chewed on one too many times... oh. And a HUGE water room, and I'm gonna let you in on a leet-tle secret: those bibs? They are nothing to a 1 & 1/2 year old with a bucket that has holes in the bottom. Nothing.

So I'm looking around at the other parents, who are typically lining the walls, trying to let their kids be kids while interceding only when they do something like knock the child next to them on the head repeatedly with a drumstick. But I'm looking at the other parents, and since I am not a social creature by nature I'm almost startled to see so many people that look a hell of a lot like me, doing the same things I am. I felt connected for a minute. I found 'the hum' in the social sense. But then the pink-haired attendant who looks absolutely exhausted comes into the room and says loudly, "Fun time is almost over! We close in 10 minutes!" Moment over. (As an aside, could you imagine working at a place like that all day, every day? Hell no.)

But anyway. We managed to get out of there without ANY (big) temper tantrums, which was a huge coup as far as we were concerned, and the rest of the evening has been relatively uneventful. Last night my husband and I went to The Mission and watched "Starsky & Hutch" while splitting a couple of pitchers of beer. Let me just say this: "That's not a kid! That's a little man! With knives!" If you don't have a place you can go and watch 2nd run movies while drinking alcohol and eating burgers (or pizza, depending on where you go), I pity you. I really, really do.

Daily Stats
Narrowly averted tears: 5x
Watched bad television: 3 hours
Exercise Biked: 30 minutes
Spontaneously hugged: 6x
Alcholic beverages: 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home